Illegal firearm possession in New York is a serious matter with severe consequences. This guide aims to provide tangible and useful tips to navigate the complexities of this issue and help you understand the legal implications and possible defenses.
Understanding New York's Strict Gun Laws
New York is known for having some of the strictest gun laws in the United States. The New York Penal Law defines illegal firearm possession as having a firearm without a valid permit or license. Penalties for illegal firearm possession is almost always a felony, and can even a class B felony that carries a 25-year sentence, depending on the circumstances and the type of weapon involved.
Consequences of Illegal Firearm Possession
It is crucial to understand the potential consequences of illegal firearm possession in New York. These may include:
- Criminal charges: Illegally possessing a firearm can lead to criminal charges, which can result in fines probation, or even imprisonment (anywhere from 1 to 25 years in prison).
- Loss of rights: A conviction for illegal firearm possession can lead to the loss of certain rights, such as the right to vote or possess firearms in the future.
- Impact on family: A conviction can also have a significant impact on your family, especially if you are involved in a custody dispute or are seeking visitation rights.
Defenses Against Illegal Firearm Possession Charges
There are several potential defenses against illegal firearm possession charges in New York. Some of these include:
- Lack of possession: If you can prove that you did not actually possess the firearm, you may be able to avoid a conviction.
- Unlawful search & seizure: If the firearm was discovered during an unlawful search and seizure, the evidence may be suppressed, and the charges may be dismissed.
- Valid permit or license: If you can demonstrate that you had a valid permit or license for the firearm, the charges may be dropped.
Seeking Legal Help for Illegal Firearm Possession Charges
If you or a loved one is facing illegal firearm possession charges in New York, it is essential to seek legal help as soon as possible. An experienced attorney can help you understand your rights, explore potential defenses, and navigate the complex legal process. At Riebling & Payton, PLLC, our team of skilled attorneys are well-prepared to handle illegal firearm possession cases in New York. Our team includes a former prosecutor, and we're dedicated to providing personalized, effective legal representation to our clients.
Contact us today at (914) 712-6878 to schedule a consultation and let us help you navigate the complexities of illegal firearm possession in New York.