Let Our Experienced Attorneys Fight For You
Westchester County Cell Phone Ticket Lawyers
How Much Is a Cell Phone Ticket in NY 2020?
Notice: If you are needing to sue for damages or a victim of a crime please reach out to a civil attorney or the police.
Punishments for a cell phone ticket include:
- Adding 5 points to your DMV driving record
- Between $50-$200 in fines
- Fines will Increase with Multiple Offenses within 18 months.
If you accumulate 11 points on your DMV record within an 18 month period, your driver’s license may be suspended. If you have wrongfully been given a texting or phone violation, contacting a Westchester County cell phone ticket lawyer can help you prove your innocence and fight for your driving privileges.
It is in your best interest to fight a ticket that was wrongfully given to you. Most people won’t bother and are just “willing to pay the fines,” but in the long run these charges end up costing you more than a single fine. The consequences of a ticket could put your driver’s license at risk and affect your eligibility for future employment.
About Cell Phone Traffic Offenses
If a police officer believes that he or she saw you using your phone while driving, you could get a ticket for it. Unfortunately, police offers are rarely listening to hear out why your phone was out to begin with. A dedicated and tenacious traffic ticket defense firm can assist you if this situation occurs.
Officers can write a cell phone ticket if they believe you were:
- Reading or writing texts
- Talking on the phone
- Reading or writing emails
- Browsing the internet
- Looking at pictures
- Playing games
How to Fight a Cell Phone Ticket in NY
- File a motion to dismiss the texting ticket. Your argument should include a valid grounds for dismissal, such as incorrect or missing information on the ticket.
- Bring your texting or cell phone ticket to have the case heard by a judge. Judges will need to hear both sides of the story, and sometimes if the facts are not compelling enough, a judge may take an officer's side. Having an attorney who is highly experienced at handling cases at trial can help make sure your voice is heard.
- Hire an attorney to negotiate and reduce the price of the ticket. By doing this, you can hopefully reduce any increases to your insurance fees and even protect you from the risk of losing your license.
With the increase of cellular technology and smartphone usage, law enforcement is cracking down harder than ever on violators. Under New York State law, it is unlawful to use a hand-held mobile phone or device while driving a vehicle. However, it is entirely possible to be given a ticket without doing anything wrong. In many situations, police officers mistakenly write people tickets that were not using their phones. If you have wrongfully received a ticket, it is in your best interest to fight it.
Our firm truly cares about the outcome of your case, which is why we offer free consultations and after-hour availability for appointments. You can feel confident putting your case in our capable hands.
Ready to get started on your case? Call today and schedule an evaluation with Riebling & Payton, PLLC.